Girls Dormitory Supervisor Opportunity
The Pharo Foundation (“the Foundation”) is a privately funded entrepreneurial organisation that runs philanthropic programmes as well as for-profit social enterprises. The Vision of the Foundation is an economically vibrant and inclusive Africa. The Mission is to achieve our vision by investing in Africa’s human and physical capital with a strong focus on job creation.
The Pharo Foundation took over operations of the Sheikh Secondary School plus two other schools from SOS Children’s Villages International (formally known as SOS Hermann Gmeiner Sheikh Secondary School.) The Pharo Foundation believes the children of Somaliland deserve an in-depth and sound education to prepare them for the challenges of tomorrow and is delighted to have the responsibility of running these schools.
The Pharo Secondary School Sheikh is a boarding school located in the Sahil region of Somaliland. The school is situated in the town of Sheikh between the port city of Berbera and Burcoa in the interior of Somaliland. It has a pleasant cool climate all year round due to its high altitude. The school is renowned for its academic excellence and secure and caring environment in which children of all abilities can experience success and achieve their full potential within a broad and balanced curriculum. The aim is to prepare students to become respectful contributing members of the communities in which they live.
The school counts many prominent politicians and other key officials among its graduates. The school has students from Form 1 to Form 4 with school facilities that consist of 10 classrooms, science laboratories, library, assembly and lecture halls, boys’ dormitories and girls’ hostel, dining hall, and a clinic. The school is currently following the Edexcel International curriculum; London University based IGCSE (International General Certificate of Secondary Education), and the Somaliland National Curriculum.
With a modern campus, the school’s well-resourced facility and dedicated team of educators seek to rapidly accelerate student learning and English Language development, while building confidence, creativity, and critical thinking skills. The school’s goal is to see each student pursue post-secondary education and become leaders and role models in their respective communities.
Under the supervision and guidance of the school principal, the Girls Dormitory Supervisor will serve as a member of the school administrative team. The primary function of the Girls Dormitory Supervisor is to promote and maintain a positive residence hall living environment which is conducive to academic excellence and personal growth.
By serving the roles of peer counselor, advisor, role model, administrator and limit setter, the Girls Dormitory supervisor facilitates the personal, social, cultural and
academic challenges of the female students.
Reporting to the School principal, we are seeking to fill the following vacancy:
- Girls Dormitory Supervisor (one position)
Role and Responsibilities
- Provide quality supervision to female students in the dormitory both on school hours and non-school hours.
- Ensure the physical security of the dorm area and reports concerns to the school principal and/or headteacher.
- Able to oversee different dorm areas and use proper judgment and discretion to resolve female students’ concerns.
- Provide female students with a safe, clean, and structured living environment that fosters female satisfaction, achievement, and success.
- Provide a stable, orderly, and comfortable and caring atmosphere.
- Have knowledge of students’ whereabouts at all times.
- Enforce rules and regulations in accordance with school policies to ensure the smooth and orderly operation of dormitory facility.
- Mediate and help to resolve interpersonal problems between resident female students.
- Listen to and communicate concerns of female students about residential life and school to the School principal and/or headteacher.
- Work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends.
- Able to make sound decisions and utilize good judgment at all times
- Secure and protect the confidentiality of students and staff personnel information.
- A bachelor’s degree in Education, counseling or related field required.
- Previous working experience with middle school and high school students in residential dorm setting is an asset.
- Be able to communicate both in English and Somali.
- Experience in supervising youth and conflict management.
- CPR/ First Aid training certification will be an asset
- Must be willing to work in Sheikh.
- Familiarity with computers and other school technologies.
- Must have a health certificate.
- Self-assured, internally motivated, and passionate individual with outstanding communication skills, driven to succeed and make a difference.
- Must possess high levels of integrity, resilience, accountability, commitment and determination, and willing to serve as an outstanding role model in the community.
- Has an excellent command of the English Language along with clear and articulate pronunciation.
- Experienced in working with schools that are mission-driven for academic excellence and student engagement.
- Dedicated team player with demonstrable experience in problem-solving.
- Ability to provide a safe, positive learning environment for students.
Salary and Benefits
- The salary and benefits package is competitive and will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Medical insurance is provided in accordance with The Sheikh Secondary School’s Health policy.
This position is open to both female and male applicants, with female applicants being strongly encouraged to apply.
Please send the information listed below, as a single PDF file, to the following email address: Recruiting.SL@pharofoundation.org Please type SOMALILAND DIASPORA and the position you are applying for in the email subject line.
- A detailed CV and Cover Letter in PDF
- A one-page list of five (5) references with current addresses, phone numbers, and email contacts.
The application deadline is 2nd July, 2020.
Review of applications will begin as soon as they are received, and only complete PDF (CV & Cover letter) applications will be reviewed. In the event that an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process, we reserve the right to appoint before the deadline. For this reason, we encourage interested candidates to apply at the earliest possible time. Due to the high volume of applications, we regret that we will only be able to contact short-listed candidates.