The Pharo Foundation (hereafter “the Foundation”) is a privately funded entrepreneurial organisation that runs philanthropic programmes as well as for-profit social enterprises.
The Vision of The Foundation is an economically vibrant and inclusive Africa. The Mission is to achieve our vision by investing in Africa’s human and physical capital with a strong focus on job creation.
In 2019, in line with its growth strategy, The Pharo Foundation took over this prestigious school, along with the Kindergarten and the Secondary School in Sheikh. The school was built to address the educational gap evident in primary schools. The school is built on an acre of land located in Shacab Area – Koodbuur District.
The Pharo Primary School implements a formal education programme for the primary level (grade 1 to grade 8). The school has 16 classrooms and teaches more than 540 students between the ages of 6 – 13. The Pharo Primary School delivers an integrated curriculum which covers different development areas that are designed for the 21st century learner. The education programme includes studies in Somali, Arabic, English, Mathematics, Humanities, Science & Technology and Creative Arts. The school is equipped with supporting facilities which include a computer lab, a science lab, an arts lab, an outdoor playground, and a library.
Headquartered in London, the Foundation also has an operational HQ in Nairobi and offices in Addis Ababa, Assosa and Hargeisa.
Position: Primary ICT Teacher
Reporting to: The Head Teacher
We are looking for an experienced ICT Teacher to join our team and to make a significant contribution to the vision and direction of the Pharo Foundation primary school, where innovative and inspirational learning for all is the core value. The role of the ICT Teacher is to develop and foster the appropriate computer skills and social abilities to enable the optimum development of children, according to age, ability and aptitude.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Instructing in a manner that develops students’ confidence in their abilities.
- Observing and managing classroom dynamics
- Assigns special projects to students.
- Invigilating and grading projects, quizzes, and examinations.
- Tracking and communicating students’ advancement throughout the course.
- Passionate about fostering computer literacy and academic excellence
- Provides appropriate resources and learning materials for students
- Identifies varying teaching methods that work best for students who learn differently
- Prepares lesson plans and outlines in accordance with the curriculum guidelines or requirements of the school.
- Design and develop appropriate computer instructional material
- Manage and monitor student behaviour
- Any other duties assigned by Principal and Head Teacher
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related discipline.
- A minimum of two years teaching experience in Primary school level education.
- In-depth knowledge of teaching methods and legal educational procedures
- A thorough understanding of best practices in teaching.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Have a knowledge and understanding of basic principles of curriculum design, child learning theory and behavioural approaches
- Flexibility and high adaptation skills to work successfully in an unpredictable school setting.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills for interaction with students, staff and parents.
- Must be able to speak fluent English and Somali
Behavioural and Technical Attributes
- Behaves in an exemplary manner and at all times acting as a role model within and outside the Pharo School.
- Have a caring and nurturing attitude towards young learners.
- Passionate and driven to succeed
- The ability to plan collectively
- Must be able to work with school computer software
Salary and Benefits
- The salary and benefits package is competitive and will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Medical insurance is provided in accordance with The Primary School’s Health policy.
This position is open to both female and male applicants, with female applicants being strongly encouraged to apply. Also, qualified diaspora members are encouraged to apply.
Please send the information listed below, as a single PDF file, to the following email address:
Recruiting.SL@pharofoundation.org and type Somaliland Diaspora in the subject line if you are a member of the diaspora.
- A detailed CV and Cover Letter,
- A PDF file of a recent lesson plan or unit plan that you have created and represents your best teaching work. The lesson/unit plan should highlight your strengths as a teacher and be accompanied with a short explanation (maximum 300 words) of why this lesson/unit plan was selected and submitted.
- A one-page list of five (5) references with current addresses, phone numbers and email contacts.
The application deadline is September 13th, 2020.
Review of applications will begin as soon as they are received, and only complete (CV, cover letter, list of references and lesson plan) applications will be reviewed. In the event that an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process, we reserve the right to appoint before the deadline. For this reason, we encourage interested candidates to apply at the earliest possible time. Due to the high volume of applications, we regret that we will only be able to contact short-listed candidates.