Science Teaching Opportunities
The Pharo Foundation (“the Foundation”) is a privately funded entrepreneurial organisation that runs philanthropic programmes as well as for-profit social enterprises. The Vision of the Foundation is an economically vibrant and inclusive Africa. The Mission is to achieve the Vision by investing in the human and physical capital of Africa, with a strong focus on job creation.
The Pharo Secondary School, Sheikh (formally known as SOS Hermann Gmeiner Sheikh Secondary School) is a boarding school located in the Sahil Region of Somaliland. The school is situated in the town of Sheikh between the port city of Berbera and Burcoa in the interior of Somaliland. It has a pleasant cool climate all year round due to its high altitude. The school is renowned for its academic excellence and secure and caring environment in which students of all abilities can experience success and achieve their full potential within a broad and balanced curriculum. The aim is to prepare students to become respectful contributing members of the communities in which they live. The school counts many prominent politicians and other key officials among its graduates.
The school has students from Form 1 to Form 4 with school facilities that consist of 10 classrooms, science laboratories, library, assembly and lecture halls, boys’ dormitories and girls’ hostel, dining hall, and a clinic. The school is currently following the Edexcel International curriculum; London University based IGCSE (International General Certificate of Secondary Education), and the Somaliland National Curriculum.
With a modern campus, and with students from all over the country and all socio-economic backgrounds being represented, a dedicated team of teachers at the School seeks to rapidly accelerate student learning while building confidence, creativity, and critical thinking skills. The school’s goal is to see each student pursue post-secondary education and become leaders and role models in their respective communities.
We are seeking passionate Science teachers who excel in their ability to teach and support students and also take endless pride to design inspiring and engaging lesson plans and teaching units. We seek compassionate, hardworking, resilient, and capable individuals who work well with others and who will enjoy living at the School Campus.
As a boarding school, teaching life extends well beyond the time spent with students in a classroom. Tutorials, field trips, and ongoing engaging school and community-wide activities also form part of a teacher’s responsibilities. Working at Pharo Secondary School, Sheikh requires a genuine commitment to serve as a role model and be an active part of the community. The school is currently following the Edexcel International curriculum; London University based IGCSE (International General Certificate of Secondary Education), and the Somaliland National Curriculum.
Reporting to the Headmaster, the following is a list of available teaching opportunities:
- Chemistry /Biology (one position)
- Mathematics/Physics (one position)
Role and Responsibilities
- Working in close collaboration with the Headmaster, the teachers will be responsible for designing and providing lessons and learning opportunities that are engaging, show a depth of teacher subject competence, and allow students to develop and demonstrate critical subject skills and knowledge.
- Regularly incorporating computer technology into the students’ learning experience where appropriate.
- Monitor and track each student’s development and providing the necessary support to ensure academic excellence and overall development.
- Manage student behaviour in the classroom and common areas by enforcing school rules and procedures
- Provide student counselling and support by working together with school leadership and other teachers.
- Actively participate and deliver tutorials, co-curricular activities and other activities conducted in a boarding school environment and as stipulated by Ministry of Education.
- Supporting the recruitment process of new students for the Secondary School as appropriate.
- The ideal person should possess at minimum a Bachelor’s in Science/ Bachelor’s in Education Degree in the specific subject teaching areas of either Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, or Biology. A Master’s Degree will be an added advantage.
- A Post Graduate Teaching Diploma in the specific subject of specialisation will be considered an added advantage.
- Have a minimum of Five (5) years of teaching experience in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, or Biology using the Somaliland A-level syllabus.
- Experience working in an internationally based organisation or international school setting will be considered an added advantage.
- Proficient in Word, Excel, Email usage, Google Suite, internet searching, and willing to learn new computer skills.
Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills in Somali and fluency in English.
- Self-assured, internally motivated, and passionate educator with outstanding communication skills, driven to succeed and make a difference.
- Should possess high levels of integrity, resilience, accountability, commitment and determination, and willing to serve as an outstanding role model in the community.
- Fluent in English and Somali and can competently conduct classroom lessons in English which is the language of instruction.
- Able to demonstrate learner-centered teaching methodologies and eagerness to continue to learn.
- Dedicated team player with demonstrable experience in problem-solving.
- Committed to and passionate about teaching and highly motivated towards student-development and growth.
- Must be of good moral character, honest, trustworthy, and dependable.
- Possesses and continually develops a working knowledge of national curriculum programmes and frameworks.
- Ability to assess and record student development, while identifying areas which need attention and improvement.
- Ability to provide a safe, positive learning environment for students.
Salary and Benefits
- The salary and benefits package is competitive and will be commensurate with qualifications and
- Medical insurance is provided in accordance with The Sheikh Secondary School’s Health policy.
This position is open to both female and male applicants, with female applicants being strongly encouraged to apply.
Please send the information listed below, as a single PDF file, to the following email address: Recruiting.SL@pharofoundation.org Please type SOMALILAND DIASPORA AGENCY and the specific teaching position you are applying for in the email subject line.
- A detailed CV and Cover Letter,
- A PDF file of a recent lesson plan or unit plan that you have created and represents your best teaching work in the subject of choice that you are applying for. The lesson/unit plan should highlight your strengths as a teacher and be accompanied with a short explanation (maximum 300 words) of why this
lesson/unit plan was selected and submitted.
- A one-page list of five (5) references with current addresses, phone numbers, and email contacts.
The application deadline is 2nd July 2020.
Review of applications will begin as soon as they are received, and only complete (CV, cover letter, lesson/unit plan, list of references) applications will be reviewed. In the event that an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process, we reserve the right to appoint before the deadline. For this reason, we encourage interested candidates to apply at the earliest possible time. Due to the high volume of applications, we regret that we will only be able to contact shortlisted candidates.