Registration Process and Requirements.
The Ministry of National Planning & Development has the mandate to register, renew, and coordinate local or national NGOs as well as international organizations operating in the country, and the projects they are implementing, or funding respectively.
• First, visit the Coordination Department of the Ministry of Planning & Development to verify the new organization name you selected is available;
• New Local NGOs registration form completed, and signed;
• List of at least five-member board of directors, signed, and with passport size photos attached (Original);
• Constitution of the local NGO signed by all the members, and approved by a Notary Public/Law Maker;
• Police clearance certificates issued by the Fingerprint Office at the Criminal Investigation Department (Original). To request this, submit application letter, enclosed with a copy of your National Identity Card, your CV, and a recent passport size photo. Remember that you can only get this issued for you unless you have the National Identity Card;
• CVs of the five members board of directors;
• List of the new organization property (I.e. office equipments, furniture, transports etc);
• Annual Plan of the organization (Complete the form with at least one project you intended to implement next year);
• Application letter for registration to the Ministry of National Planning & Development;
• Registration fee for a new local NGO is SL Shillings 1,000,000, and there is also SL Shillings 200,000 additional to pay (Not tax but service fee);
• Make all contents of the file you are submitting original, and that you have a copy of each one for a similar file you must have.
• Upon verification and approval of the Coordination Department, you will be awarded registration certificate valid for one year. The renewal fee shall be SL Shillings 500,000 per annum.
• There are several consultancy firms that can provide you guidance for the process if you are interested;
• The whole process may take to complete 4-6 days or less than a week time.
• Constitution of the LNGO can either be written in Somali or English but should be approved by Legal Firm or Public Notary.
• MP&ND issued both NGOs and INGOs Registration forms, and can be downloaded from the Ministry Website.
• For further information, visit www.slministry.org, and refer to Somaliland Nongovernmental Nonprofit Organizations Xeerka Ururada Samafalka aan Dawliga ahayn ee Wadaniga ah (USDAW).
• No any organization registered as nonprofit organization under this law cannot involve in any kind of profit making or trade oriented businesses, or otherwise will be prosecuted for it.